Subject: Languages/locales (was Re: [malcolm.parsons@virgin.net: bsdgames: number claims English output, but outputs in American])
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/17/2003 08:54:13
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:50:29PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> To summarise - there is or was no dictat from The NetBSD Foundation
> that the project must use American spelling in all its documentation,
> nor do I believe that there should be one.  My own preference is to be
> inclusive on this - I would much prefer to see any documentation
> whatsoever, even if it has a different spelling to the one with which
> I'm familiar.

Ditto on Alistair's last point.  In an ideal world, I'd like to
see all NetBSD documentation would be available in all languages
and character sets.  Since we're not there, and not likely to get
there any time soon, I propose that we adopt a standard that says
that each unit of documentation (man page, chapter, web page,
whatever) should:

	a) be internally consistent, and

	b) state its locale in a comment or in some kind of tag
	   within the source file.

Sound reasonable?

-allen

--