Subject: Re: [malcolm.parsons@virgin.net: bsdgames: number claims English output, but outputs in American]
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/10/2003 09:43:30
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003, Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> I've attached debian bug report #219666, and an email from Joseph Myers
> asking questions about the correct way too fix it.

> The manpage for number states:
>
>       number - convert Arabic numerals to English
>
> Well it doesn't:
>
> malcolm@arthur:~$ number 1000000000
> one billion.

Sadly, most of the English-speaking world has succumbed to the American
idea that a billion is 10**9 (rather than the historically correct
10**12).  Even the British government and the (London) Times now use the
American meanings.

number(1) also thinks that $(number 123) and $(number 2001) are "one
hundred twenty-three" and "two thousand one", instead of the proper
English "one hundred and twenty-three" and "two thousand and one".

--apb (Alan Barrett)