Subject: Re: Othersrc grep versus GNU grep
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/09/2003 17:34:11
Chris Pinnock wrote:
> Off the top of my head, othersrc grep uses always tries to use mmap.
> GNU grep will always use read unless you give it --mmap.

Probably red herring then (i.e. the number of page faults
doesn't really mean it would be slower). Might be interesting
to compare GNU grep --map vs. your grep, if there is any difference.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-