Subject: Re: Mail submission -- significant change of behaviour!
To: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/04/2003 12:41:40
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:06:16AM +0100, Havard Eidnes wrote:

> To get outgoing e-mail going, you need to enable both sendmail and
> smmsp (or start running postfix, which I don't think has a mode to
> handle "just outgoing e-mail").  I'll admit that it's a long time
> since I configured sendmail last, and I could not find an easy
> configuration change to make it listen only to 127.0.0.1, so now some
> of my systems have an exposed listener on port 25 where I did not have
> one before and where I didn't really want one.  Tweaking the .mc file
> for the sendmail configuration to make it listen only to 127.0.0.1
> does not qualify as "an easy configuratin change".

  An alternative is to have smmsp forward directly to a relay host.
Then you only need to run smmsp (the queue runner, in case any mail
gets queued for some reason), and no local smtp daemon is needed.
To do this, add to your .mc file for smmsp the line:

  FEATURE(`msp', `[relayhost]')dnl

instead of the usual:

  FEATURE(`msp')dnl

where "relayhost" is replaced by the name of your relay.