Subject: Re: dd could replace rawrite
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2003 23:10:24
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote on Fri, 10 Oct 2003
> at 02:42:32 -0400 in <20031010024232.00b00e6d.jklowden@schemamania.org>:
>
> > What I'd like to see is "dd for windows" as part of the i386 install
> > CD, and the documentation modified to suggest people use that to
> > create their floppies.
>
> I think it's important for the floppy disc creation instructions to be
> as user-friendly as possible. Does dd further that? I recall rawrite
> will prompt you for a file and a device if run without args, etc.

My take is a little different.  Anyone willing/interested in running
NetBSD had better be prepared to spend a lot of time at the command line.
If he's intimidated by using dd to create the floppies, how will he
administer the system after it's installed?

I'd say dd is probably a better "ambassador" to the world, in the sense
that it reflects NetBSD's style more than the rawrite programs do.  For
better or worse.  ;-)

--jkl