Subject: Re: dd could replace rawrite
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2003 22:42:31
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 11:42  PM, James K. Lowden wrote:
>
> > Because I don't like rawrite32, I ported dd(1) to Win32.
>
> Did you consider using Cygwin?  (Does Cygwin already have a dd command?
>   I don't remember...)

I didn't consider Cygwin.  I didn't want to use their sources, because its
GPL.  To build it, I used M$ tools.  Now that I know it works and would be
accepted, I'll convert it to build under mingw.

> Anyway, I'd certainly like to see your work!

	:-)

Thank you, everyone, for the encouragement!  I'll be happy to post the
files.

What I've done so far is simply prove it feasible.  I'll tidy up and make
sure they still compile under NetBSD.  (!)

BTW, is the right test "#if WIN32", or do we have another way?

For the curious, here's a list of the files I needed:

_err.c       _warn.c      dd.h         misc.c       verr.c
_errx.c      _warnx.c     err.c        mtio.h       verrx.c
_verr.c      args.c       err.h        position.c   vwarn.c
_verrx.c     conv.c       errx.c       strsep.c     vwarnx.c
_vwarn.c     conv_tab.c   extern.h     strsuftoll.c warn.c
_vwarnx.c    dd.c         getopt.c     strtoll.c    warnx.c

--jkl