Subject: Re: dd could replace rawrite
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/11/2003 09:35:12
On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:48:52PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> I think rawwrite will also write to floppies, is that correct?  It
> would be nice if there were a Windows tool for putting images onto CF
> cards.  Sounds like dd fits the bill, for this.

For one, I think, we are having a big confusion here about rawrite.com vs.
rawrite32.exe - the latter being a GUI based win32 application (done by me)
and the former some very old DOS command line utility.

I think the original post was about rawrite32, the windows GUI program.

Rawrite, the dos command, already fits much of the "command line is better"
answers in this thread; but it has the unfortunate side effect that it used
to not work on some NT versions (and at the time I wrote rawrite32 Dell used
to ship some workstations preconfigured with only WinNT).

First I'd like to note that (from a *windows* users perspective) I don't see
much that could be made easier with rawrite32. It meats all his expectations
(and the furthemore accepts a minimal command line invocation, but that's just
a side effect). You can drag an image file onto rawrite32 and it will write it
to the first floppy drive. You can just start rawrite32 and it will tell you
what to do and browse for the image file.

Second the wish for CF enhancements has been brought up already, and it
probably would be easy to add, if someone with a suitable test euqipement
could contact me off-list.

Besides this, I'm all for choice. If you like dd better, fine with me.
Provide a binary and list it as an alternative installation method (pointing
out the GUI-lessness), so the user will have the choice.

Martin