Subject: Re: dd could replace rawrite
To: Tim Rightnour <>
From: Douwe Kiela <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/11/2003 01:10:43
> On 10-Oct-03 John Hawkinson wrote:
> > As a person well-used to command line tools, I have great difficulty
> > believing you'll be "intimidated" in any real why by using rawrite.
> Every time I sit down to make a floppy from a dos machine.. I start typing
> if=foo and realize I'm screwed.  I then have to dig out the install
> instructions to figure out how to run rawrite again.  I'm not saying it's
> is incredibly difficult and beyond my comprehension, i'm just saying it's
> intuitive to me.
> I just think by the time you have the user at a command prompt typing a
> they probably have never used before, it's probably irrelevant what
command you
> give them to type, as long as it works right out of the instructions.
I think it's a very interesting idea, but as a NetBSD and Windows user I
don't see why pressing a "Select" button in rawrite32 would be more
intimidating than having to start up a win32 shell to type a dd command.

I think it's a nice addition, but again; I don't see why it would be more
usefull than rawrite32 for writing images to floppies. However, if dd's
options extend those of rawrite32, I'd say it would be a good idea to use

Just my 2 cents..

Douwe Kiela