Subject: Re: increase default for number of files descriptors per process (was Re: Speeding up "pstat -T")
To: Greywolf <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/2003 23:05:52
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 07:38:12PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
>Thus spake Andrew Brown ("AB> ") sometime Today...
>AB> (1) that sounds reasonable, but in practice, how many applications do
>AB> you use that actually run up against the default soft limit of two
>AB> megs?
>Hm.  "cdrecord", regularly...
>"mozilla" on occasion...
>"gimp" from time to time...

hmm...okay.  i guess i don't use those all that much, though i did
encounter one program that consumed stack rather voraciously.

>There are quite a few apps which will chew up and spit out stack like
>there's no tomorrow -- and they discover, once they hit that limit,
>that they are quite correct in their assumptions.

in my case, the program was merely allocating an array of about 500000
structs on the stack as a work area.  if i had been of a mind to, i
would have made it malloc() that instead, but i didn't care enough.