Subject: Re: increase default for number of files descriptors per process (was Re: Speeding up "pstat -T")
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org, tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/2003 14:09:06
Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.okt.drei@onlinehome.de> writes:
> > (BTW, i wouldn't object to the default rlim_cur for open fd's being
> > increased from 64 to 128.)
>
> With many applications being developed mainly under Linux this seems to
> be a good idea. Most Linux distributions (at least those available
> on testdrive.hp.com) seem to have a limit of 1024.

Perhaps we should set the limit to 1024, then.

BTW, I've been wondering about a lot of our limits for some time. I
think that perhaps our kernels should compute them at boot time based
on available resources rather than forcing a "one size fits all" on
everyone. A machine with 4G of physical memory probably can afford to
let user processes have a bit of a larger default stack size than a
machine with 4M of memory, right?

Perry