Subject: Re: pppoe(4) man page in conjunction with Postfix leaves gaping relay
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Nino Dehne <TeCeEm@gmx.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/02/2003 04:12:17
Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

> 	people do configure /30 netmask on point-to-point interface.  therefore
> 	i'm not certain if we can/should configure 0xffffffff netmask in
> 	if_spppsubr.c.
>
> 	anyways, i have dropped a note to the author of postfix on this issue.

Maybe leave if_spppsubr.c as it is, i.e. use whatever value has been set
by the user. Instead, lead the user to the correct way via the man page
of pppoe(4) and pppoectl(8) or even a default netmask of 0xffffffff for
point-to-point links in ifconfig(8). This way everything is taken as
configured and not changed unexpectedly for anyone.

My proposal: pppoe(4) should use whatever mask was set. Postfix should
use whatever mask was set. ifconfig(8) should default to a mask of
0xffffffff when configuring point-to-point devices unless instructed
otherwise. pppoe man pages should use correct examples.

I'm just talking out of my guts here, but that's roughly what I would do
with my limited insight. :)

> itojun

regards

--
Of course it runs NetBSD.

PGP key: 42A5E773 / 41DE 4A4C DB34 33F7 2044  8FE0 91AA C584 42A5 E773