Subject: talk not defaulting to 'localhost' not honoring an explicit 'localhost' request.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/26/2003 19:31:20
I'm trying to get talk to work using the loopback interface. I want to
block all incoming udp traffic on my external interface and, this
seems to disable the use of talk. Further inspection reveals:

26/09/2003 19:25:57.215408 pppoe0 @1:8 p
Cirrus.Mine.Nu[66.143.163.37],52158 ->
Cirrus.Mine.Nu[66.143.163.37],ntalk PR udp len 20 112 IN
26/09/2003 19:25:57.215685 pppoe0 @2:3 p
Cirrus.Mine.Nu[66.143.163.37],ntalk ->
Cirrus.Mine.Nu[66.143.163.37],52158 PR udp len 20 52 OUT

which confirms my suspicions. All requests originate from and are
destined to 'Cirrus.Mine.Nu' (external address) wether I append user@
with localhost or 127.0.0.1.

It seems that talk should in fact be defaulting to a local interface
and in any case it should definitely not ignore my explicit @host
destination.

ps: I know that the packets aren't actually leaving pppoe0 but, it's
just plain stupid and complicates my filtering rules.