Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD Faster
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/22/2003 16:29:07
On Fri Sep 19 2003 at 10:36:39 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> writes:
> > I wonder how we could do the same in NetBSD.
> > Maybe let rcorder start the services (on demand?), instead of just
> > printing some order?
>
> However, my main delays in booting are for things like delays during
> probe of my IDE devices during autoconf, not the amount of time rc
> takes to run (which is quite short), so I'm not sure it is worth it.

There was a paper which investigated speeding up kernel booting floating
around somewhere.  IIRC they achived somewhat of a speedup.  I just
can't seem to locate the paper now.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/