Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD Faster
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/19/2003 12:43:08
Thus spake Perry E. Metzger ("PEM> ") sometime Today...

PEM> However, my main delays in booting are for things like delays during
PEM> probe of my IDE devices during autoconf, not the amount of time rc
PEM> takes to run (which is quite short), so I'm not sure it is worth it.

...and SCSI devices as well; did we ever do a mass-reset instead of waiting
for 2 seconds for *each* bus?

If I were to wire down everything in the kernel such that there are no
wildcard probes, would that speed things up at all?  i.e. are there any
ways around these delays?  Some of them seem somewhat obnoxiously long
(I'll have to note where the major pauses happen...)

				--*greywolf;
--
"Never mind the bollocks, here's NetBSD!"