Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD Faster
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/19/2003 10:36:39
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> writes:
> I wonder how we could do the same in NetBSD.
> Maybe let rcorder start the services (on demand?), instead of just
> printing some order?

I've thought about this for some time, actually.

It would be fairly simple to get rcorder to yield a graph rather than
a list and to make use of it. One would want to get some sort of
serialization of the boot messages but there are ways to yield that.

However, my main delays in booting are for things like delays during
probe of my IDE devices during autoconf, not the amount of time rc
takes to run (which is quite short), so I'm not sure it is worth it.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com