Subject: Re: pw_dup(3)
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/10/2003 22:17:17
	itojun@itojun.org (Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino) said:

>	there's no point in duplicating work when there's existing code.

Yes, if the existing code is good enough.
Unfortunately,

- The IRS implementation doesn't provide some features that nsswitch
  implementations (including ours) already provide.

- The IRS implementation is incompatible with some widely used UNIX
  variants, e.g. Solaris, Linux.
 (I'm talking about sethostent_r() and friends, here.)

> 	(nsswitch itself is not thread safe, and

Certainly our nsswitch is currently not thread safe, but nsswitch
framework itself can be thread safe (see, Solaris, Linux, ...).

> 	nsswitch is just for hostname lookup if i understand right).

Well, that's not right.
--
soda