Subject: Re: vipw AND gzip problems?
To: David Brownlee <>
From: Sean Davis <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/28/2003 09:31:36

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:13:18PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Geoff Wing wrote:
> > Sean Davis <> typed:
> > :> Actually, anything dies after I do an unlimit:
> > :Yep, it did. Everything works fine now. Odd, since USE_TOPDOWN_VM had =
> > :caused me any problems before.
> >
> > That's the whole point.  Once you unrestrict the stack limit (with
> > USE_TOPDOWN_VM compiled in), everything fails.
> 	Has anyone opened a PR on this?

I do not think so. I might have missed it hitting netbsd-bugs, but I don't
think anyone has. In any case, I'm not sure I know enough about the root of
the problem to provide sufficient detail in a PR. All I know is that a
couple weeks ago, vipw et al worked, and 'unlimit' wouldn't break everything
(even though it did unlimit the stack size, and even though I had
USE_TOPDOWN_VM compiled in at the time). Could the problems with it now
possibly be related to the non-exec stack/heap changes? That's just a wild
guess, but thats the only change I've seen lately that looks to be in the
same realm as USE_TOPDOWN_VM.

I think someone who knows the guts of USE_TOPDOWN_VM would be better
qualified to open a PR on this issue than I. (but, thanks to Geoff for
pointing out what the problem was :)

/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (NetBSD)