Subject: disklabel v installboot
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/21/2003 14:37:48
I was looking at fixing a very old bug (port-i386/4089) properly
(disklabel writes a label embedded in 8k of zeros if there wasn't a label).

However it would be so much easier to do if I removed the code from
disklabel that can update the bootstrap code (-B option).

AFAICT this is only compiled in for hp300, vax and arm32,
and I think used by sysinst for vax.
I'm sure it would be trivial to change the vax sysinst?
Is it really used in the other cases?)

Separating the features will make the man pages rather less confusing,
as well as making it possible to extract the 'write label to disk'
functionality from the rest of the gubbins in disklabel.

It would then be possible to teach the code how to handle sparc and vax
disks (etc).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk