Subject: Re: __RCSID() and .text section
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/29/2003 19:54:49
In message <20030729231635.26F66793@starfruit.itojun.org>, you write:

-> 	see PR 22277.  some of integer variables are put into .text region
-> 	and causes SEGV (because .text section is not writable), i guess
-> 	this is because of __RCSID().  any clues on how to solve this?
-> 	i'll disable __RCSID() for now.

Yes, I have a fix which Jason suggested and which I simply forgot about;
we tripped over this same thing at work, and I *thought* I had filed a
PR.

The fix is to use .previous rather than .text to restore the section
that was being written to before the RCSID macro; I think I got hung
up on whether the same treatment was needed for the other macros that
do section magic (IIRC, the stuff for emitting warnings on use of un-
safe functions like gets()) and never fixed the problem you report
above.

Please bother me if I don't check in a fix tonight... I just need
to find which machine has the fixed header file :-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill