Subject: Re: #ifdef CRAY in libexec/telnetd
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Brian Ginsbach <ginsbach@cray.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/13/2003 20:50:40
* Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net> [2003/07/13 05:09]:
> 	do we really need to keep those #ifdef CRAY stuff in libexec/telnetd?
>
> itojun

I'd say it don't do it! Isn't NetBSD supposed to be "highly portable"?
Why can't this extend to commands/daemons? Personally I feel removing
this stuff only marginally improves readiblity.  The code is somewhat
unreadable regardless IMHO.

I think the only vendor that has even come close to "keeping up"
with telnetd is Cray (probably since Cray contributed its changes
back to Berkeley and they were incorporated into the 4.4 sources).

Why does NetBSD wish to be like FreeBSD and OpenBSD (which unifdefed
telnet/telnetd long ago)?  It would be pretty tough to get telnetd
from these releases to work correctly with other OSes (Solaris, IRIX,
HPUX).

Just my two cents.
--
Brian Ginsbach                          Cray Inc.