Subject: Re: is PT_STACKSIZE too small?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/25/2003 12:53:15
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> I suppose my biggest question here is: Why does ThreadedX=yes cause
> libpthread to be pulled in?  ThreadedX is supposed to be using the
> <threadlib.h> stubs.

On a related note, I've started wondering if the layer of
pseudo-abstraction provided by <threadlib.h> is worthwhile. When those
stubs were initially created for libc, thread interfaces were still in
flux and being actively changed, so a layer of isolation made sense
(it also made it easier to not have to adjust the types in Sun-ported
libc code). However, here in 2003, pthreads has been standardized and
widely adopted; it is what all thread packages provide. Having another
set of names that will, as far as I can tell, always map to pthreads
seems silly.

        - Nathan