Subject: Remove yaa-zzz support from split(1)?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/24/2003 00:11:30
At present, if split(1) isn't told what prefix to use for generated
filenames, it generates names from "xaa" to "zzz".  Once upon a time, it
just used "xaa" to "xzz", but presumably someone wanted more names (the
source code says "Hack to increase max files").  Unfortunately, POSIX
standardised the old behaviour, with the result that our version of
split(1) isn't conformant.

Since we now have the "-a" option to split(1), which allows the number of
extra variable characters generated to be varied, it's possible for split
to generate more files without the need for this hack.  Thus, I'd like to
remove it, and hence make our split(1) POSIX-conformant.  This would also
simplify the code somewhat.

Any objections?  I could add an option to enable the old behaviour if that
would help, but I'd rather not.

Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/acorn26/>