Subject: Re: CVS_RSH to ssh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/19/2003 14:19:23
Frederick Bruckman writes:
>On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, James Chacon wrote:
>> Is setting the environment variable that difficult for folks?
>Yes. ;-) Now answer this: does anyone honestly use cvs over rsh
>anymore?

Yes, about 300 times per day, far more often than I use ssh actually.
Of course I only use ssh when dealing with cvs.netbsd.org

>gratuitious changes are bad, but this change is so overdue that
>other projects are likely to follow our lead, and the cvs people,
>too, eventually.

Actually freebsd did it already?  Or at least the version of CVS we
most recently installed at work defaulted to ssh.  Broke my
automated build scripts until I set CVS_RSH=rsh ;-)

I'm not saying don't make this change, but don't confuse your not using
something as meaning it is no longer in use.

--sjg