Subject: Re: CVS_RSH to ssh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/18/2003 12:02:12
Um.  Can everyone try to take a step back and look at this
proposal in as objective a fashion as possible?

The proposal was to change the default binary used for remote
shell access for CVS in the cvs executable, so people wishing
to use ssh will not have to know to set CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
in the environment, right?

Setting CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh in the default environment is a
slightly less robust way of accomplishing the same end (using
ssh instead of rsh by default on a system).

I personally think that either of those are excellent changes
for the default NetBSD install.  No one is really saying that
you have to use ssh yourself in all cases.  People have different
security needs and different amounts of CPU at their disposal.
What you end up using is, well, up to you.

I actually do lean toward changing the binary default since
that's a little more robust.  I think everyone who's been
involved in this discussion here will have little trouble
setting CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/rsh if that's what you prefer.

I do think this change should be suggested to the cvs
development team, too.  (Are you still active there, Greg?)

Computing and networking have both changed rather substantially
since remote CVS support was added with the current default of rsh.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/