Subject: Re: CVS_RSH to ssh
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/18/2003 02:19:09
[ On Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 00:43:50 (-0400), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS_RSH to ssh
>
> since i know that if i rsh to *localhost* to execute a command, i'll
> get a connection over a socketpair() and not an inet/inet6 connection.
> i also get better performance than over an inet/inet6 connection,
> since all that wasteful checksumming isn't performed.  :)

If you use :fork: as the "access method" then you'll get a pipe and thus
now even better performance than a socketpair().

If you use the real repository directory (or :local:) -- i.e. completely
eliminate all the client/server B.S. -- then you'll get the maximum
possible CVS performance your machine can deliver.  For some recursive
operations the difference can be positively stunning because of the
gyrations a CVS server has to go through to handle a remote client.

I only use the real CVSROOT directory to access my local repository,
including the local copy I keep of the NetBSD repository.

(there were some problems with NetBSD's modules definitions vs. local
access for initial checkouts, but they could be easily worked around and
I think they may even have been eliminated with the recent re-org)

--
								Greg A. Woods