Subject: Re: pax-as-tar extract to stdout patch
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/17/2003 15:12:15
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> In case it's not clear yet I've only been objecting to the proposed use
GAW> of 'tar' in the system build process, i.e. the use of a completely
GAW> non-POSIX command, and one that's been explicitly replaced by POSIX
GAW> 'pax' for a great many extremely good reasons.

...buh?  I wasn't aware that 'tar' was non-POSIX.  Never mind that it's
slowly dying, but it doesn't seem to be aware of this phenomenon.

<dry>
Oh, and thank you SO much for your blessing of pax.
</dry>

GAW> I've also been trying to point out the complete silliness of complaining
GAW> about the lack of ability to extract a file(s) to stdout in 'pax',
GAW> especially in the case of scripted use, and especially in the case of
GAW> the NetBSD system build process!

...why is it silly, Greg?  Because it interferes with...what, exactly?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Dave Barry is working on our motto.