Subject: Re: pax-as-tar extract to stdout patch
To: James Chacon <jmc@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/17/2003 08:55:23
Thus spake James Chacon ("JC> ") sometime Today...

JC> >In other words:
JC> >
JC> >"NetBSD is not POSIX."
JC> >
JC> >We are mostly POSIX-compliant, but not 100% in the command department.
JC> >I don't even think we are 100% POSIX-compliant in the interface department.
JC> >There is probably some very good reasoning for this.
JC> >
JC>
JC> So what part of POSIX said one can't extend the commands? Oh yeah..it doesn't
JC> last time I read through the specs.

Relax.  I'm saying it's dark and you're saying it is not light...
(I'm not against the extensions...)

JC> It is entirely possible to be standards conforming *and* provide extentions..

Well, no and yes.  You can extend to POSIX and still be compliant, but if
you _rely_ on the extensions in your programming, you're not really being
compliant.  Think about it.

JC> James

But to sum up, I think what we're doing with the stuff is fine, even
necessary.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Stop, Drop, and Load