Subject: Re: CVS_RSH to ssh
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Douwe Kiela <virtus@wanadoo.nl>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/17/2003 14:27:40
David Brownlee wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, David Laight wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 05:16:53PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>>

>>>	do people object much if i apply the following patch, to make
>>>	ssh(1) the default way for cvs to contact remote host?
>>>

>>Two questions:
>>
>>1) why?
>>	Most people tend to use cvs over ssh nowdays - particularly
>>	anyone dealing with the NetBSD source tree (pkgsrc included).

I agree, but it isn't much trouble to set one simple environment variable.

>>2) what about systems that don't have ssh installed?
>>	These would tend to be infrequent in modern NetBSD systems :)
>>

>>	We would need to document the change loudly, but I would very
>>	much like to see it made.

I guess this would generate a lot of stupid questions on mailing lists
and problems,
it isn't standard behavjor for CVS is it? I think it shouldn't default
to something
that isn't in base by default.. So unless we put SSH in base I think we
should stick
to rsh (just my humble opinion).

Rgds,
Douwe