Subject: Re: pax-as-tar extract to stdout patch
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/17/2003 14:43:38
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 01:17:13PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
  | [ On Monday, June 16, 2003 at 00:04:32 (-0400), James Chacon wrote: ]
  | > Subject: Re: pax-as-tar extract to stdout patch
  | >
  | > Please commit this. (It makes things like the distrib/cdrom Makefile a lot
  | > simpler to deal with for instance as it extracts one-off files from the
  | > tarballs for some cd images).
  |
  | I'd very much prefer to see the src/distrib tools make use only of 'pax'
  | (with it's truly _standard_ command-line interface)

The NetBSD unprivileged build process depends upon the non-standard pax(1)
option '-M'.  That is why we install a host tool version of "pax" as
$TOOLDIR/bin/nbpax.

This is not going to change in the forseeable future, since we don't
have the resources nor the motivation to change the way that the NetBSD
build system works to suit *your* asthetic requirements.