Subject: Re: mount remounts... is PR 444 back?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/04/2003 13:41:40
> I got the following behaviour of mount:

> # mount /foo
> # mount
> /bar on /foo ..

> That is, mount remounts an already mounted fs (same mount point and
> same fs).  Is this is related to union fs or is it just PR 444 coming
> back?

It's not 444; that is about mount -a.

> A related PR is the #5805.

Quite so.

I don't see what the problem is.  When you mount something, it hides
what was there (or overlays it if -o union); if "what was there"
happens to be a previous mount, even "the same" mount, that doesn't
affect anything.

The only reason you don't get this with ufs (&c) mounts is that you
can't mount the same device more than once.  But you can mount
/dev/sd1f on /mnt and then /dev/sd2a on /mnt if you like.

"Unix doesn't prevent you from doing stupid things because that would
also prevent you from doing clever things."  I'm not quite sure what
the "clever thing" could be in this case, but people generally can't
see them ahead of time....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign