Subject: Re: changes to systat io/vm displays?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/28/2003 12:13:57
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:34:14PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 01:25:21PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Between 1.6 and now, there seem to have been some major changes to the
> > vm and io displays in systat.  Some are good, some are bad.  I have a
> > few minor quibbles, however:
> >
> > 1) In the process of making these changes, the vm screen somehow got
> >    broken so that it does not reliably restore the terminal mode when
> >    the program is suspended or exited.  This is extremely annoying
> >    since it makes it difficult to keep a systat vmstat going in the
> >    background ready for use while doing other work in a shell on
> >    the same tty.
>
> Which part of the mode isn't restored? and on what terminal type?
> It appears to be ok on an xterm.

Echo isn't restored.  This doesn't have anything to do with terminal
type, but I've seen it both on the console (vt220) and on an xterm.  It
doesn't happen every time, but if you set the update interval short enough
and then suspend and resume quite a bit, I think you'll see it.

> > 2) The "scaling" change to the io screen is clever in that it makes
> >    the visual meaning of the bars more clear, but not so clever in that
> >    it removes the precise numerical value from the display completely.
>
> But the number was only output when the bar hit 100.
> If you want to see the numeric values type :nu when the iostat values
> are showing.

Aha!  Thanks, this is what I want.