Subject: Re: why not "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/08/2003 13:13:39
[ On Thursday, May 8, 2003 at 15:36:48 (+1000), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: why not "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
>
> On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:02:52PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>   | Why not do "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
>
> Because src/tools is designed to be compiled as host tools using the
> host's include files, libraries, and compilers; not the NetBSD ones
> under DESTDIR...

The change I made was to <paths.h>, and that changed file was to be
re-installed in $DESTDIR/include, and it was indeed re-installed when I
manually ran "$TOOLDIR/bin/nbmake-i386 includes".

I thought the build had failed while building the compatability library
used for the tools (though I can no longer prove that without repeating
the experiment since I didn't keep a typescript).  I may very easily
have been mistaken about which stage the build was in though...

If the tools build doesn't use $DESTDIR/include then my suggestion is
obviously pointless, however it seems to me that if the build of the
tools does use $DESTDIR/include then "make includes" must be run before
the (rest of the) tools are built.

--
								Greg A. Woods