Subject: Re: BSD lpd and network print servers
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/08/2003 07:50:51
--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:20:21PM +0900, KAWAMOTO Yosihisa wrote:
> > So I moved my printer to a location where it was most convenient to
> > connect it via ethernet. $100 later, I have a D-link print server.
> > Works fine.
> >
> > I had been using magicfilter via "if=", but that doesn't work with
> > our stock LPD.
>
> Try lp=515@remoteprinter instead of rm=remoteprinter.

isn't that for a raw tcp socket, while port 515 is lpd protocol?

But the problem is real - lpd print filters run on the print server, not
on the client.

With all solutions I've used, I've done something like Michaels solution.

But the proposed solution would work, if Michaels printer box had a
raw tcp (as opposed to lpd) socket - HP Ethernet printers have one,
and the printer server cigarette box I have @work has one (per port),
too.

Regards,
	Ignatios