Subject: Re: why not "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG (NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion\>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/08/2003 11:55:22
"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> Why not do "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
>
> It's necessary if you are trying to get buy with using "build.sh -u"
> _and_ if changes to headers are needed in order to successfully build
> some tools, but I'm not sure if it's possible (i.e. whether or not all
> the tools used by "make includes" are already built and installed in the
> tools directory before the general "make do-tools").  It seems to work
> OK, but that's only after getting half-way through the do-tools stage
> and then deciding to try saving some time with '-u'....

The do-tools stage doesn't need to look at the result of your "make
includes" unless you're building with DESTDIR=/.  If you've made some
non-standard changes to the tools but haven't reflected that in your
host system you're gonna lose, period.

Or am I misunderstanding completely what you're trying to do?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/