Subject: Re: why not "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/07/2003 18:36:49
[ On Wednesday, May 7, 2003 at 23:12:07 (+0100), Ben Harris wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: why not "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
>
> In article <m19DTFk-000B3kC@proven.weird.com> you write:
> > Why not do "make includes" before "make do-tools" for build.sh?
>
> In the general case, because "make includes" needs ${INSTALL}, which is
> built by "make do-tools".

Hmmm...  I knew there must be something!  :-)

However, how about just building nbinstall right after building nbmake,
right from build.sh with a similar buildnbinstall.sh script?

Also, it seems to me that ${INSTALL} doesn't really have to be nbinstall
either, since strictly not even -g and u are needed, and not even really
'-m', and so something like the GNU Autoconf install.sh script would do
fine for those few platforms without a usable native 'install'.  Heck
I think even "cp" would suffice for installing the tools, wouldn't it?

> > It's necessary if you are trying to get buy with using "build.sh -u"
> > _and_ if changes to headers are needed in order to successfully build
> > some tools,
>
> NetBSD _should_ be able to compile on earlier versions of itself (at least
> back to the latest formal release), so unless your host system is
> comprehensively screwed, this situation should never arise.  I don't think
> that requiring some effort to recover a screwed host system is unreasonable.

It must have been further along than I thought (it's so hard to tell
with all the very long command lines!  ;-), probably into building libc.

I had added a local custom entry to <paths.h>, but spelled it wrong.  I
fixed it and re-started with "./build.sh -u ..." but the updated
<paths.h> didn't get copied into $DESTDIR and it failed again in the
same spot.

Moving "BUILDTARGETS+=includes" up above do-tools did fix the problem,
and does seem safe, even without UPDATE (-u) set, at least for building
on an older NetBSD host....

Note I'm doing this in the netbsd-1-6 branch, and I know there are some
more quite significant changes in -current's build.sh an so on....

--
								Greg A. Woods