Subject: Re: script command
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/30/2003 12:49:32
[ On Wednesday, April 30, 2003 at 00:59:27 (-0700), Simon J. Gerraty wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: script command
>
> Because that's not what I need.

It is good to know the full details of the actual problem you're trying
to sovle!  ;-)

> Because this is part of a tool driven install that needs to prompt the
> user for data - frobbing the tty's echo/noecho state at times, and I
> want an install.log of the user interaction - so that if/when they say
> "it doesn't work, no nothing interesting happened during the install"

Ah, well there is that nifty snp(4) driver and associated watch(8)
command in FreeBSD.   I don't know if it works on /dev/tty itself, but
it wouldn't be too hard to use tty(1) to point it at the right device
from a wrapper script.  I've wanted to have the same in NetBSD for a
while now.  Mostly I'm only interested in how other people drive the
console though, and for that I use serial consoles and "conserver" which
does both logging and allows real-time monitoring and interactive
control (though I see watch(8) has some interactive mode too).

I've also always thought the curses library should include a facility
for logging a transcript too.  It could even do it in a device
independent manner....

--
								Greg A. Woods