Subject: Re: script command
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG (NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion\>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/30/2003 00:59:27
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:03:34 -0400 (EDT), "Greg A. Woods" writes:
>The idea with "script" is that you start the command you want to run by
>typing it to the shell started by script.

Thanks - I'm familiar with unix ;-)

>If you want to start a command and just record all it's output then how
>about using just plain old "nohup"?

Because that's not what I need.

>Or are you actually trying to record user interactions, not just the
>output of a command?  If so why can't the user just type the command
>name after starting script?

Because this is part of a tool driven install that needs to prompt the
user for data - frobbing the tty's echo/noecho state at times, and I
want an install.log of the user interaction - so that if/when they say
"it doesn't work, no nothing interesting happened during the install"
I can actually verify that - its amazing how easily people miss little
things like:

WARNING: Danger Will Robinson!  Do not proceed or you will hose
yourself.

Thanks
--sjg