Subject: script command
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/29/2003 01:56:12
Do we have a tool other than script(1) that can record I/O for a
command?  FreeBSD's script(1), treats any left over args as a command
to run - which is just what I need.  But netbsd's script has other
features which are cool too...

In adding the command foo to our script, I'm pondering the extra
subchild used - presumably to avoid using select?  As it stands, this
introduces a race condition, in that:

script /tmp/x.log /bin/date

the command will exit and the child gets a SIGCHLD and finishes before
logging the output from the command.  cvs log doesn't make mention of
introduction of this sub-child so perhaps it has always been there.
But ditching it and using select in the parent seems neater than
blocking unblocking signals to avoid the race?

Other considerations?

Thanks
--sjg