Subject: Re: technical acronyms (misc/17559)
To: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/09/2003 21:05:58
Le 09 Apr 2003 11:33:32 -0700
cgd@broadcom.com a ecrit :
[...]
> IMO, 'wtf' as it currently exists now has no business being in, or
> having ever been added to, the NetBSD source tree.

wtf doesn't feel like it has a real purpose, except maybe being a part of
NetBSD's history, but it is an history I don't know about, as a NetBSD
user only since 2000.

> (Is this enough to justify it?  Personally, I doubt it.  However, if
> there's a reason to have the existing DB, there's definitely enough
> reason to have a "computer terminology" one.)

I strongly support Julio on that one. I don't expect to find a command in
NetBSD to find the meaning of an acronym I encounter in a mailing-list or
in a poor IRC channel, but I know sometimes I would like to know the
expansion of very common acronyms like SCSI and IDE.

Note that for SCSI, man scsi gives the answer, but neither pciide(4) nor
wdc(4) give a clue about IDE.

Those two are just an example, computer people tend to love acronyms, and
even though the acronym is sometimes more meaningful than the specially
crafted plain version, it's painful to have to search it on Google.

If people don't feel the need for a computer terminology base, I won't
complain if wtf is simply removed and pkgsrc-ized with tons of databases.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.