Subject: Re: Creating a binary package
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/26/2003 18:11:00
On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:26:51PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:

> If you will be creating packages for things that are not (yet?) in
> pkgsrc, then you should probably study Packages.txt and some examples.
> port2pkg, url2pkg, pkglint, pkgdiff, mkpatches, patchdiff, "make
> makesum" and "make makepatchsum" can also be your friends.

It's a COBOL compiler and runtime, I don't think it will migrate
to the pkgs in any hurry :-)  But it will make it a lot easier to
upgrade the NetBSD platforms in future.

But, yes, Hubert put me on the right track.  I have just completed
a preliminary wrap-up.

> If you will be adding private patches to things that are already in
> pkgsrc, then you probably need pkgdiff, mkpatches, patchdiff and "make
> makepatchsum".

Haven't had occasion to consider this.  I will however now put some
effort into releasing some of the stuff I've accumulated in the
past.  Nothing earth shattering, unfortunately.

> If all you want is a binary package for something that is already in
> pkgsrc, then you should use "make package".

I hadn't considered that possibility, at first it struck me as
unnecessary as the packages are already available.  Of course, one may
want a different configuration, or somesuch.

++L