Subject: Re: chksniff
To: Douwe Kiela <virtus@wanadoo.nl>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/22/2003 17:20:15
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Douwe Kiela wrote:
> Hey, I wrote a small tool to check if network interfaces are in promiscuous
> mode,called chksniff. Is there interest for something like this in NetBSD's
> src/usr.bin or whatever? I've seen things in there like 'chkpath' and such,
> so I tought perhaps this would be a good additions to it.

I think this is a very nice example of how to do some programming.
You can also check out the interface flags with ifconfig btw, e.g.

	le0: flags=8b63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,PROMISC,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICA
	                                                ^^^^^^^

I'm not sure if this should go in-tree. If anything, pkgsrc would be a
better place for it, feel free to send-pr a pkg.

Also, my NetBSD doesn't have chkpath of anything similar. ;)

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/