Subject: Re: lpwrapper
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/2003 13:32:22
[ On Thursday, March 20, 2003 at 16:09:44 (+0100), Julio Merino wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: lpwrapper
>
> Sure?  There are lots of programs that execute the 'lpr' binary to print
> things. So if they use the one in /usr/bin, cups won't get noticed about
> the new job.

Speaking of piling bad hacks on more bad hacks:  can't you configure
CUPS to accept LPR jobs and if so then you can easily configure
/etc/printcap with a single default remote printer that forwards to CUPS
running on the loopback or on an alias IP# or some such.

> > CUPS is an ugly hack. The whole notion of parsing the content of the
> > print job to determine how to handle it is fundamentally flawed.

Indeed CUPS really truely is most gross and ugly and bloated.

> How is this related to what I'm proposing?

Don't use CUPS!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods