Subject: lpwrapper
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/2003 15:10:59
Hello,

I've just installed cups on my system, and (obviously) binary programs
conflict with the ones in the base system.  One needs to:
1) Remove lpd from the base system (acceptable when we have syspkg), but
   for now it's a very ugly hack.
2) Set up path's so that lp* in /usr/pkg are found before /usr.  This
   looks ugly too. Relying on path order is bad, imo.
3) Any other way I'm not aware?

Therefore I propose adding a 'lpwrapper' program, in the same direction
as 'mailwrapper', configured to use lpd in the base system by default,
of course. This program could use a /etc/lper.conf configuration file,
just like mailer.conf (better names accepted). Implementing this program
is trivial, based on mailwrapper sources (I've already got it, just need
to review manpages).

This means that all actual lp* tools should be moved to /usr/libexec/lp/*.

Any objection to this? If not, I'll try to finish lpwrapper and post it
here, along with all other patches needed.

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>