Subject: Re: Should make create $MAKEOBJDIR ?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2003 08:53:19
>>Having, yet again, fallen foul of a partial build overwriting the
>>source directory because the required $OBJ directory hadn't been
>
>That's a makefile problem, though perhaps one that is tricky to solve
>if you don't have a nicely constrained build environment.
>Cookie files are generally evil, but I use one for this.
>A make obj from top level will create a .obj.done, and virtually all
>other top level targets depend on that (there are some messy details
>to get this right btw).  And by doing cvs updates via 'make' you can
>help ensure that that cookie file is removed whenever you update.

actually, all you need to do is ensure that the cvs update routinely
touches some file, and then you can make the .obj.done (and the obj
target) depend on *that*.  :)

i typically do (the moral equivalent of) "cvs update -d -P > update"
so that i can see what got updated, what conflicts i just incurred,
etc.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."