Subject: Re: Unix 03
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/11/2003 11:15:33
In article <OF94FFE51B.72191C2B-ON65256CE6.002283A9@in.ibm.com> you write:
> Unix 03 standard (set by Open Group) has quite a few changes/additions to
>unix user level commands.

>I can't find anything post-UNIX-98 on TOG's main Web site.  The
>"Company Review" version of UNIX 03 was mentioned on the Austin Group
>list, but actually working out what it entails is ... tricky.

The austin group has a document out that lists the required changes.
The changes mentioned in the document are comprehensible to me.

>I wanted to know if there is any effort to make netbsd Unix 03 compliant.

>If it's anything like UNIX 98, it'll require implementing the XSI
>extensions to 1003.1-2001.  NetBSD is unlikely ever to do this, since
>XSI is fundamentally incompatible with BSD ps(1), echo(1), etc.

there is always a possibility that one could implement the non-conflicting
specs.

>We do seem to be aiming for base 1003.1-2001 (with Corigendum 1)
>conformance though.

good to hear that. the commands have been made more powerful than existing
on most unix systems and that's a good reason to adopt it.
regards
-kamal

--
Ben Harris