Subject: Re: terminfo?
To: None <>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/07/2003 10:30:40
In article <> you write:
>What's the best way to deal with this?  I've currently got a ~/.termcap file
>containing selected entries created from the ncurses terminfo.src using
>infotocap.  This mostly works, but seems pretty cumbersome.  It also doesn't
>work for some of the variants, including "nsterm-c-s-acs",the one I'd prefer
>to use.
>(By "doesn't work", I mean that programs which use termcap give either
>"tgetent failure: No such file or directory", fail to initialize the
>terminal (possibly the same failure with a different error message), or dump

Dumping core just because you've got a termcap file they don't like is
wrong, and it might be an idea to file a PR against those programs that do

>What's the netbsd policy on termcap updates and/or terminfo support?  Should
>the netbsd termcap file be brought up to date?

In theory, our termcap is derived from ESR's one, and
<> doesn't indicate
that there should be any problem with importing new ones.  No import has
actually happened since 1997, though, so it's likely to be a rather painful

>Do the historical length
>limits on termcap entries apply to the netbsd implementation?

I believe there's a somewhat evil hack to work around this limit.  From

        In order to extend the termcap string over 1023 bytes, a ZZ entry was
        introduced to point to a memory location containing the full entry.

Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:>