Subject: Re: statically linked binaries in /usr/bin
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/04/2003 20:51:59
> Just checked. In current, all of them are dinamically linked and stripped.
> The only thing that remains static is /rescue, if I'm not wrong.

(I understand *why*)  ;-)

It is very nice to know that those binaries are dynamically linked
(and stripped).  I read a lot about the efforts of the NetBSD
development team to get even binaries in the root filesystem
dynamically linked.  I was not sure about those binaries in /usr/bin
and /usr/X11R6/bin.

> > Well... I believe that tar(1) has been finally replaced with a front-end
> > to pax(1), am I wrong?
>
> Yes.

IMHO, that is a nice change too.  I am awaiting for those changes
to be implemented in production releases of NetBSD.

> Saludos!

Hasta pronto, Julio!

Igor.

--