Subject: Re: statically linked binaries in /usr/bin
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/04/2003 20:08:07
> /usr/bin/bzip2:        ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYS
> V), for NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> /usr/bin/bzip2recover: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYS
> V), for NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> /usr/bin/gzip:         ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYS
> V), for NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> /usr/bin/tar:          symbolic link to /bin/tar
>
> (in current)

Hi Julio!  It is very nice to meet you again.

Ok!  I am not running current, only NetBSD 1.6.  It is very nice to
know that gzip is stripped in NetBSD-current.  What about bzip2(1),
ldd(1), and tar(1)?  Can kdump(1), ktrace(1), and ktruss(1) be
stripped too?  I suppose that it is dangerous dynamically linking
those kernel-related binaries, but at least debugging information
should be removed.

Well... I believe that tar(1) has been finally replaced with a front-end
to pax(1), am I wrong?

Take care,
Igor.

--