Subject: Re: Conf file for wsmoused(8) - second attempt
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/26/2003 15:31:46
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:08:30 +0000
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:50:52PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> > As nobody has replied (might be because the previous tar.gz)...
> > Let's make things easier for a fast review, and just paste files inside
> > the mail (I know, this gonna be big).
>
> Seen bigger :-)
>
> Isn't the config file format a little OTT?
> Wouldn't some 'variable=value' strings read line by line be adequate?
> Parsed with the libc strxxx functions.

Yes. That var/value pair could be enough for the existing functionality,
but with what I want to do, I wanted a more flexible file format.

This is what I have in mind:
- Add more functionality than just copy/paste (extension as you said, for
  example), ability to customize what buttons do (see below).
- Add a mode to run commands from mouse buttons.
- Merge moused inside wsmoused, as a new mode.

(so as you can see, we need the ability to specify independant options
for each "mode").

> > +The left mouse button is used to select text when held and you
> >  use the right button to paste it in the active console.
>
> How did it get that button usage?

Hmm... freebsd? Emulation for a 3rd button can be included, of course.
But with the new conf file, button actions will be tunable (not yet).
Say, for example:

mode sel {
    action { button = 1; do = paste; }
    action { button = 3; do = copy; }
}

> > -.Bl -tag -width /dev/wsdisplayXXX -compact
> > +.Bl -tag -width /dev/wsmoused.conf -compact
>                     ^^^
> I expect you meant /etc/

Oops, minor mistake (anyway, that text does not appear ;).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>