Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/22/2003 00:15:10
>> To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@netbsd.org>
>> Cc: source-changes@netbsd.org
>
>Anything more than a one-off should not go to source-changes.
>Moved to tech-userlevel.

fair enough.  :-P

>> >Suppress emailing the daily security report if it is empty, unless
>> >send_empty_security=YES. Implements change-request PR security/17249
>> >from Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>.
>>
>> send_empty_security should default to YES to preserve existing
>> behavior.  now that there's an option, individuals can set it to no of
>> their own volition.
>
>No.
>
>The existing behavior benefits no one.
>There's no advantage in continuing the empty reports.

sure there is.  when i get an empty report, i know nothing was wrong.
when i get no report, i don't know if it got lost or not.

>We should move to a reasonable default that is good for everyone.
>The time to make that transition is when the change is implemented.

you presuppose that you know what is good for everyone.  i take
delight in getting empty security reports.  not getting them would
disrupt things.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."